July 08, 2011

Turtle Rescue

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the tortoise of the tortoise & the hair fable.  Slow & steady, you know the story.  Several years ago my favourite cycling socks had a tortoise on one side of the ankle, a bunny on the other.  So depending on the day - and whether I felt speedy, or steady- I would wear either the tortoise or the hair on the outside.

During the week leading up to Nationals I was out training one evening and came across a turtle the size of my helmet in the middle of the road.  I’ve never seen a turtle that big in the wild in Canada!!

Rescue instinct took over- I leaned my Specialized Transition against a post & looked around for an implement to prod the prehistoric looking creature off the busy road with.  Left where he was he’d surely meet his death.  The next few minutes were spent waving traffic around the feisty little guy who actually snapped at a tire as it whizzed past.  He wasn’t proving to be the smartest creature! 
After deservingly garnishing quite the number of inquisitive looks I located a stick & proceeded to flip the turtle over & over; the stick bent under his weight, he hissed & snapped.  Several minutes later & after creating quite the spectacle for the passing onlookers- he was safely off to the side of the road.  Mission accomplished.  Back to training!

Slow & steady J!

MoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment